Well, I am definitely on the countdown to my holiday and I can’t seem to get anything done as I keep finding other things which need doing before finishing the first job. So I am going to try harder today and feel like I have accomplished something by the end of the day. My first job of the day is to add a recipe to my blog for Beef Lasagne. I have already added my recipe for Vegetarian Lasagne as my recipe of the week. It is all things savoury today (for a change).
- For the ragu sauce:
- 500g beef mince
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 sweet red pepper (diced)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2oz soft spread
- 2oz plain flour
- 1.2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 4oz cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1/2 pint of milk
- 8 lasagne sheets
- In a pan, soften the onions in a little bit of oil.
- Add the peppers and the mince.
- Brown the mince then add the tomatoes and seasoning.
- Simmer for 15 - 20 minutes.
- In a pan, melt the soft spread and add the flour.
- Cook for 1 minute then add the milk gradually.
- Stir constantly to avoid lumps forming.
- Once sauce at desired consistency, add the mustard powder, paprika and seasoning.
- Remove from the heat and add two thirds of the cheese.
- Preheat the oven to Gas 6.
- Layer up the ragu, lasagne sheets and cheese sauce ending with the cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes till golden brown.
I have included some extra pictures with this recipe as I did not get a chance to take a final photo of the beef lasagne when I had dished it up. So my final photo is of the Vegetable Lasagne just to show the colours in the recipe. I can not take designer photos of food yet but I am still practising. Sorry it doesn’t look appetising to the eye but believe me when I say it was. I am going to have to research how to take better photos of meals like lasagne and make them more appealing. It its on my to do list.
Nutritionally, these two recipes are fairly healthy as none of the main ingredients can be removed otherwise it would not be a lasagne. The beef mince I use was a healthier less fat variety from Tesco and was the perfect amount to use in this recipe. Obviously, the meat free version was my favourite and I finished the rest off the following night. My husband finished off the beef lasagne but his mainly consisted off mince as one of the darling children had picked all the lasagne out of the dish. 🙂
For the rest of the weekend, I don’t plan on baking anything but never say never. Packing is the order of the day today. Followed by catching up on my blog and various links I still need to add. One final thing, it is nearly the 1st of August, so don’t forget to buy your copy of Easter Treats e-book which is on offer for 99p for one week only. If you are a member of Kindle Unlimited you can grab a copy for free from the Kindle Library. Go on and treat yourself.